Those boxed hamburger skillet meals from our childhood bring up all kinds of happy memories. They’re salty, savory, and produce a pan full of warm, gooey comfort food. But the truth is, boxed hamburger helper meal kits are full of sodium, preservatives, and processed ingredients. This homemade version with fresh veggies and marbled Wagyu beef is healthier and even more delicious.
The star of this gourmet hamburger skillet recipe is hearty Wagyu ground beef, full of healthy omegas and low in cholesterol. This recipe also has plenty of fresh vegetables and warm, rich flavors that make it a hit for the whole family. It cooks up quickly and is easily customizable according to specific tastes. The best thing about this recipe is that you can make the entire meal in one pot.
When cooking your Wagyu ground beef, remember to bring it to room temperature first, for about 30 minutes to an hour. Never overcook your Wagyu ground beef, so that it maintains its amazing juiciness. Remove the meat from your skillet as soon as it’s cooked through before moving on to the next step. If substituting the vegetables, just be sure to use the same total measurements. This makes a complete meal, but feel free to serve with warm bread or homemade biscuits. It’s sure to bring back some warm and fuzzy memories from years past.
- 1 pound of Wagyu ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3-6 cloves of garlic minced, as little or as much as you like
- 1 cup of fresh broccoli florets, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup of fresh carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of small shell pasta (any small shaped pasta will work, even orzo)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 cup of shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups of bone broth or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper (or to taste)
- ½ cup of whole milk
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the Wagyu ground beef until cooked through. Remove the cooked beef and set aside, leaving at least half of the fat in the pan.
- Add olive oil. Once the oil is heated, add diced onions and carrots and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add mustard and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Return the cooked Wagyu ground beef to the pan and add in dried pasta, broth or stock, milk, salt, pepper, and diced broccoli. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 12 minutes or until pasta and broccoli are cooked to preferred doneness.
- Turn off heat and gently fold in the cheeses a handful at a time until melted.
- Serve immediately with fresh parsley on top, if using. Enjoy!